Thursday, May 3, 2012

Don't be so quick to judge.

I think one of the most important lessons I've learned with mommyhood is this -- don't be so quick to judge. I don't know why, but for some reason, when I became a mom, I became more understanding of life -- of people.

When you see a mom using TV to babysit her kid, It's so easy to say, "Oh my that's against perfect-parenting 101! You shouldn't let your kids watch TV! Haven't you read about the effects of TV to kids below 2 years old?" You may not even say it out loud, but believe me -- the parent feels the judgement.

I know because I've experienced this first hand. I'm a new mom -- with zero idea on how to take care of a child. I relied on books, on google -- and (unsolicited) advices. But with these advices came unwanted remarks, sometimes bordering insensitive. I figured at some point in my life, I might have done the same thing to a mom -- so it's just karma acting in.

So I made this 'resolution' -- not to judge, period. I will offer advices only when asked, or if the conversation deems for it. I will choose my words carefully. Every parent is an expert, in their own way. I don't need to be perfect in the eyes of other people, I just need my son to know that I'm doing the best I can.
 
Elayskie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make me happy!